You are here

Food Drive

by Courtney Jackson

LSUS is helping the local community fight hunger by hosting its annual food drive here on campus.

The Food Drive began on Oct. 1 and will continue through Nov. 7. Of the items collected, 80 percent of them will be donated to the Northwest Louisiana Food Bank while the other 20 percent will be donated to the LSUS Food Pantry. This event will not only benefit LSUS students, but the entire community.

Last year, LSUS students and employees donated over 5,000 pounds of food to the Food Bank and exceeded their goal by over 1,000 pounds. This year, the goal is to raise over 5,500 pounds of food for those in need.

If you would like to help out, there are donation bins located in various spots across campus. A few of the Food Bank’s main requests include canned fruits and vegetables, cereal and pasta. The three buildings on campus that donate the most pounds of food will be awarded with prizes such as the Golden Can and the Food Drive Star.

The race is on to see who will win the Golden Can!

Photo courtesy of Kristin Fiser Kristin Fiser Kristin Fiser